Fall Risk Assessment
Fall Risk Assessment
The Sentinare app can help you estimate a loved one’s risk of falling. It does this by innovatively combining two clinically-proven methods: the Morse Fall Scale and the Timed-Up & Go Test (TUG).
It’s easy to assess the fall risk of a loved and it only takes a few minutes. First, open the Sentinare app, navigate to the person page, then tap Assess Fall Risk. Second, follow the on-screen prompts. Once complete, your loved one will be assigned one of three fall risk levels.
Fall Prevention Strategies by Risk Level:
- Continue to provide good basic care. Assess fall risk every 4-6 months or when conditions change.
- Ensure Sentinare sensors have adequate coverage of the main floor areas. Family members should have the Sentinare app, ready to receive notifications.
- Do gentle exercises that involve slow and graceful movements to improve strength, balance and coordination.
- Avoid high heels, loose slippers, and shoes with slippery soles. Wear snug, flat shoes with non-slip soles.
- Improve lighting and visibility of the living space. Install motion-activated lights for night times.
- Remove obstacles, loose objects, loose rugs, and dangling wires from paths.
- Repair loose tiles, floorboards, and carpeting.
- Clean spilled liquids immediately.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathroom: outside and inside the bathtub or shower.
- Implement the above fall prevention strategies for Moderate Risk patients.
- If residing in the US, subscribe to the Alexa Together service and link Sentinare to the Amazon account (view details in the Alexa Together FAQ).
- Consult a health care professional to discuss long-term strategies, such as recruiting a home caregiver.
- Place common necessities within easy reach, such as clothes, dishes and food.
- Make use of assistive devices:
- Handrails for both sides of stairways
- Nonslip treads for bare-wood steps
- A raised toilet seat or one with armrests
- Grab bars for the shower or tub
- A sturdy plastic seat for the shower or tub, and a hand-held shower nozzle for bathing while sitting down