Please download the User Manual of the Sentinare sensor (formely known as the Cypress visual sensor) in different languages from the following links. We strongly recommend you to go over the user manual to understand the details of the features and settings of the Sentinare sensor and the App.
The following is a quickstart guide of the sensor and the App.
Step 1: Download the Sentinare App
To use the Sentinare sensor, you need to install the free Sentinare Activity Sensor (formely known as the Cypress visual sensor) App on your mobile device.
Choose the following download method depending on your mobile device’s platform:
Step 2: Install the Sensor
- Install the sensor at a height of about 1.8-2.5 meters from the ground and tilt it down so that it can monitor most of the floor in the room for fall detection. Make sure the sensor is in upright position, i.e., does not tilt to the left or right side. Please avoid installation position with strong backlight.
- The sensor can be installed upside down on the ceiling, but you need to flip the displayed view from the App (see user manual).
- Power up the sensor, and wait for about a minute until the LED starts to flash white, indicating that the sensor is ready to be added to the system. Please refer to the user manual for detailed installation guides.
Step 3: Create an Account
- Open the Sentinare App on your mobile device, tap the “Create an Account” on the front page.
- In the “Sign Up” page, fill in your name, email, and password. The email and password are used for login. The password should have at least 8 characters and include upper case letter, lower case letter, and digit.
- Tap the pencil icon to choose a server location. Currently, there are three servers in Canada, United States, and China. When a sensor is sold, its serial number is added to the white list of one server, based on the country of the customer.
- Read and accept the Terms of Services, then select “I agree to Terms of Service”.
- Tap the “Sign Up” button. After that, you will receive a verification code in your email account. If you could not get it after a few minutes, please make sure your email is spelled correctly, and check your junk mail folder.
- Enter the verification code to the next “Confirm Email” page, then tap “Continue” to enter your account.
Step 4: Add the Sensor to Your Account
- Now you can add your sensor to your account by tapping the Rooms icon at the lower left corner of the screen.
- Note: A sensor can only be added to one account at any time. If a sensor has been added into another account, its status will be displayed as “Added”, and it cannot be added to a new account unless it is removed from the original account.
- Note: In the App, each sensor must be added to a Room, and a Room can have up to 10 sensors. When a new account is created, a default room “1st Floor- Room 1” is created.
- To add your new sensor, click on “1st Floor- Room 1” in the Rooms page.
- In the next room page, click the “+Add Device” command. The App will search and list all nearby sensors.
- Select the sensor to be added according to its serial number. The LED of the selected sensor will flash green for 20 seconds. In the next page, create a name for the sensor.
- Setting up WiFi: Next the App will set up the WiFi for the sensor. The App will first scan available secure WIFI networks. Selecting your WiFi network and entering its password, the LED on the sensor will first turn to red, then yellow and blue, and eventually become steady green. After that, this sensor will connect to WiFi and the server, and appear in the list of sensors in the room.
- Firmware Upgrade: After adding a sensor to the account, if its firmware is not the latest, the App will ask the user to upgrade the sensor’s firmware. The upgrade might take a few minutes, and the sensor might reboot multiple times. Please do not unplug the sensor, until the sensor shows a steady greent light.
Step 5: Calibrate the Sensor
- The sensor must be calibrated to detect the floor before it can detect falls correctly. You need to redo the calibration if the angle or position of the sensor is changed. The sensor only sends alert when a person falls to the floor. Falling on sofa, couch or bed will not trigger alert.
- To do the calibration, tap the “Calibrate” command in the sensor’s page. If the sensor has not been calibrated, the sensor will automatically capture a background image and detect the floor in it. If the sensor was calibrated before, the App will first display the previous background image and floor map.
- To protect people’s privacy, make sure that nobody is in the view of the sensor during the calibration.
- To update the calibration, tap the “Recalibrate” command, the sensor will take a new background image and detect the floor in it, which will take a few seconds. Tap the “Save” button to save the result and exit the page.
- Manual Calibration: Sometimes the auto-calibration algorithm may mis-calibrate some non-floor areas as floor, or miss some floor areas, which could cause wrong fall detection results. In this case, users can manually define the floor area. First tap the “Clear” command to remove the automatic calibration result, and then use a finger to redraw and fill up the correct floor area on the screen. After that, tap the “Save” button to save the result.
- Note: Users must be within Bluetooth range of the sensor (~10m) in order to do the auto-calibration. Manual calibration can be done remotely.
Step 6: Add People
- Many features of the Sentinare sensor rely on face recognition, such as statistics of each person’s daily activities. To enable these features, users need to add the face photos of people that need to be monitored by the sensor.
- To add a person, tap on “+ Add Person” at the top of the “People” page. The App first needs to get a face image of the person from the mobile device’s camera or from the image library, as shown below.
- After getting a face image, the “Add Person” page will appear, where the user can input the name of the person and assign this person to a Person Group, such as Seniors or Staff.
- In the next page, users can add or delete photos for the person. In this page, users can change Person Group, and input the person’s detailed information.
The sensor is now ready to look after your loved ones! It will monitor their activities, collect statistics, and send alerts when emergencies such as falls are detected. You can check their real-time activities, or review their activity history.
Please refer to the user manual to find out how to enable other powerful features of the Sentinare sensor.
Please note that similar to any other Artificial Intelligence products, the algorithms of the Sentinare sensor are not perfect, although we are working hard to improve them constantly.
By purchasing our products and using our services, you agree to our terms and conditions as stated in our website and in the App, including the disclaimers, limitations of our products and services, and limitation of liability.
In particular, you agree that the device is not guaranteed to detect all possible abnormal events that it is designed for, and is not guaranteed to collect all information without any error. We cannot guarantee in any way that the device will prevent accidents, death or personal injury to you or others, or prevent property damage, illegal entry, or undue delay in any emergency service response, and we are not liable in any manner for any injury, loss or damage resulting therefrom. If you do not agree with these clauses, you should not use our products.